Heather Nash – 250-833-6329, rob-heather@telus.net

The Shuswap community lost a tremendous booster when Rob was killed while offering assistance at the scene of an accident on the Coquihalla Highway. That he stopped to render assistance speaks to the person he was.

The Nash family, Norman & Lynda (née Bracher), Rob, and younger brother, Richard, emigrated from England and settled in Salmon Arm in 1982.

Rob met Heather Bettles in his Grade 6 class at Salmon Arm West school. The Bettles family, Robert and Ellinor (née Christensen) together with Heather and her siblings had arrived in Salmon Arm via Haney in Rob and Heather married on August 27, 1994. Both always felt fortunate to be raising their two children, Andrew, b. August 10, 1998 and Leah, born February 21, 2001, in such a beautiful community.

After obtaining his Mechanical Engineering Technology diploma at B.C.I.T. Rob returned to Salmon Arm to take up a position with Newnes Machine Ltd. (now USNR) and then in 2001, started working for PQ Systems Ltd. Heather had obtained her degree in Physiotherapy and, after working at Vancouver General Hospital for 2 years, moved back to Salmon Arm and took a position at Shuswap Lake General Hospital. Heather says they created a wonderfully balanced life, especially after they moved to their small acreage in South Canoe in 2011, where Rob was able to work from his small timber framed office, just across the back yard.

Rob loved exploring the outdoors with family and friends, proud to call the Shuswap home. He made many handcrafted trailhead signs, including maps, distances, and GPS coordinates. At one point, he imported a wooden troll from Norway, placing it beside his custom-made wooden sign for the famous South Canoe Troll Bridge. Rob had a passion for this sort of detail that users of the trails will enjoy for many years.

The Larch Hills Nordic Society and the Junior Race Team benefited tremendously from Rob’s participation. Some of the roles he filled over the years included Race Secretary, Equipment Manager, Wax Technician, Fundraising, and he was a valued member of the Larch Hills Chalet Committee. As well, he was a volunteer with the Reino Keski Loppet, the Shuswap Trail Alliance, the Salty Dog competition, Shuswap Youth Soccer, and many school volunteer roles.

Rob’s life was enriched through his volunteer activities; he lived life well and loved through his actions. Salmon Arm and the Shuswap are the beneficiaries. “A good day for Rob was a day that he could help somebody” says Heather. “We hope that building a legacy fund in Rob’s name will ensure that his passion and commitment to his community will continue to make a rich and meaningful impact for generations to come.”

90% of the earning of the fund will be disbursed to the Shuswap Trail Alliance each year. The remaining 10% will be granted at the discretion of the directors of Shuswap Community Foundation. The fund is open to contributions at any time.

Notes by Ineke Hughes and Heather Nash, August 2020

NOTE: When donating to this fund, please specify if you would like to direct your donation to the construction of a Shelter in South Canoe in honour of Rob or to the endowment fund.